Philips Senior Interaction Designer in Andover, Massachusetts
You are a senior interaction designer working to support our Population Health business teams. You are responsible for the implementation of design thinking within projects and the creation of innovative interface and interaction design solutions for product/service solutions.
At Philips Design we believe in creating solutions that satisfy people's needs whether in the hospital or home. We focus on understanding patients and care providers insights that enable us to design solutions that empower people to deliver more effective care and live more rewarding lives. Our global creative force of some 500 professionals is located in Design studios in Europe, North America and Asia.
As a Senior Interaction Designer you will work as part of a multi-disciplinary team to create new ideas and concepts through to the execution of detailed design solutions for new and existing products and services.
Analytical & conceptual skills:
You use appropriate and effective analytical and conceptual skills to increase domain knowledge and to create meaningful and innovative solutions.
• Analyze required information to form a relevant understanding of context (domain, business, market, emerging contexts, related trends, target groups, etc.) and define and articulate relevant insights.
• Create and manage surprising and relevant scenarios/ themes/ concepts that explore potential or articulate a proposition, based on contextual understanding.
Visual design skills:
You use appropriate and effective visual design skills to articulate simplicity across products and through interaction & interface, supporting business needs, and increasing user satisfaction.
• Develop and use appropriate visualization skills (sketch, prototype and specify) to define and communicate interaction concepts.
• Create effective and appropriate visual languages by understanding the meaning and effect of these on the brand, audience, market and culture.
Functional design skills:
• You use appropriate and effective functional design skills to articulate simplicity through function, interaction and development - supporting business needs and increasing user satisfaction
• Apply and define (general) interface and interaction principles. Define and develop general usability principles
• Understand and challenge technology, constraints, development tools and methods. You are aware of the latest technology trends.
• Create information architectures, application flows (flowcharts) and functional designs for application screens (wireframes)
• Development of interactive low and high fidelity prototypes
Communicating & influencing skills
• You use appropriate and effective communicating & influencing skills to build relationships with teams and key decision makers and achieve the best solutions
• Communicate ideas clearly and persuasively at an individual and group level. Direct team members and developers and choose the right communication style or influencing tools
• Build relationships and appropriately influence relevant internal teams and direct business contacts. Develop stakeholder relationships and build networks to achieve short- and long-term goals
• Master degree in interaction design or related field preferred
• You have 5+ years of relevant experience in interaction design
• You are recognized for your expertise and talent in interaction design and for your specific competency knowledge and capability
• Furthermore, you have a good understanding of development processes
• You may have won award(s) or hold IP
• You have a strong aesthetic and visual sensitivity
• You are passionate about creating solutions to improve health
Help us advance healthcare by creating innovative solutions for physicians as well as patients. In healthcare there are still many challenges to improve the lives of both patients as well as physicians. With the Philips Design Innovation team we are exploring new ways of interactions to improve workflows, experiences or allow for new procedures to be performed.
We are looking for a passionate interaction designer who helps us to explore and propose the best ways of interaction with healthcare devices and solutions given the emerging technologies like AR / VR, high resolutions screens, voice control and animations.
You are the design lead in innovation projects, with responsibility for implementing design thinking and design deliverables like scoping projects, create project plans, wireframes and prototypes. You add value to the Philips brand through the creation of great user experiences for our Healthcare customers. You are comfortable working in the uncertain/ambiguous space of innovation in which the solution is not yet defined and you help teams create this definition by bringing ideas to life.
Philips is a health and well-being company, focused on improving people’s lives through meaningful innovations. As a world leader in healthcare and lifestyle, Philips integrates technologies and design into people-centric solutions, based on fundamental customer insights.
Our businesses have leading positions in healthcare informatics, cardiac care, ultrasound diagnostics, home healthcare, personal care, oral healthcare and mother and child care. Headquartered in the Netherlands, Philips employs over 100,000 employees in more than 100 countries with sales in 2016 surpassing EUR 24.5 billion.
Design is at the heart of our company, shaping the way people experience our brand, products and services. In fact, everything you see from Philips has been designed. As proud custodians of the Philips brand, we make sure design is always the starting point for innovations. At Philips Design, we believe that good design is about creating solutions that satisfy people's needs, empower them and make them happier.
The heart of Philips Design is its people, and with studios across the globe with more than 500 employees - representing a multitude of disciplines and perspectives - we're a vibrant and diverse team. https://www.90yearsofdesign.philips.com/
As Interaction Design Consultant, you are responsible for developing design ideas in the Design Innovation program from basic interaction concepts through to fully detailed design solutions.
You work as part of a global multi-disciplinary team to stimulate the creative process with new ideas and input.
You contribute to the outcome by advising other project members (engineers, developers and business stakeholders) on how best to address the user’s needs and create value for all stakeholders.
You are responsible for guiding the creation of prototypes and for the assessment of these prototypes.
You use appropriate and effective analytical and conceptual skills to increase domain knowledge in interaction design and to create meaningful and innovative solutions:
Analyze required information to form a relevant understanding of context (domain, business, market, emerging contexts, related trends, target groups, etc.) and define and articulate relevant insights.
Create and manage surprising and relevant scenarios/ themes/ concepts that explore or articulate a proposition, based on contextual understanding.
Have a clear creative vision, while knowing how to bring projects from idea to completion.
Functional design skills
You use appropriate and effective functional design skills to articulate simplicity through function, interaction and development - supporting business needs and increasing user satisfaction.
Be a hands-on UX design expert, shaping the concept and seeing it through to detailed design and implementation across a variety of devices and platforms.
Apply and define (general) interface and interaction principles. Define and develop general usability principles.
Understand the impact of using programming languages to apply visual design.
Understand and challenge technology, constraints, development tools and methods. You are aware of and interested in the latest technology trends.
Create information architectures, application flows (flowcharts) and functional designs for application screens (wireframes).
Understand the value of mockups and fast prototyping as tools in your creative process.
Interested in continuously learning new tools and techniques and creating a user experience across a wide range of platforms
Visual design skills
You use appropriate and effective visual design skills to articulate our brand values across products and through interaction & interface, supporting the business needs. And you are able to direct the team with clarity and accuracy in the use of visual language.
Develop and use appropriate visualization skills (sketching, prototyping and specification) to define and communicate data design and interaction concepts.
Create effective and appropriate visual languages by understanding the meaning and effect of these on the brand, audience, market and culture.
Communicating & influencing skills
You use appropriate and effective communicating & influencing skills to build relationships with teams and key decision makers and achieve the best solutions.
Communicate ideas clearly and persuasively at an individual and group level.
Build relationships and appropriately influence relevant internal teams and direct business contacts to achieve short- and long-term goals.
Excited to work with colleagues from a variety of backgrounds
Software development (knowledge of C++, Java, or C#) and creative coding experience (openFrameworks, Cinder, Processing, etc) to create quick prototypes.
An interest in AR / VR, 3D printing, CAD, and/or related technologies
Experience developing interactive applications in Unity
Familiarity with and/or interest in animation and motion graphics
We are looking for you!
Required: 5+ years relevant experience in visual design, interaction design and/or design research
You have a Bachelor or Master degree in graphic, interaction design and/or new media design
You are passionate about innovation, user interface design and overall user experience
You have an affection with healthcare and personal health
You have a strong aesthetic and visual sensitivity
You are recognized for your expertise and talent in interaction design and visual design as well as for your specific competency, knowledge and capability.
You have a good understanding of development processes
You may have won award(s) or hold IP.
A Design portfolio is required for this role.
Philips is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, creed, citizenship, disability, protected veteran or marital status.
As an equal opportunity employer, Philips is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants that require accommodation in the job application process may contact 888-367-7223, option 5, for assistance.