Philips Design Intern in Monroeville, Pennsylvania
Philips (NYSE: PHG, AEX: PHIA) is a leading health technology company focused on improving people's health and enabling better outcomes across the health continuum from healthy living and prevention, to diagnosis, treatment and home care. Philips leverages advanced technology and deep clinical and consumer insights to deliver integrated solutions. The company is a leader in diagnostic imaging, image-guided therapy, patient monitoring and health informatics, as well as in consumer health and home care. Headquartered in the Netherlands, Philips' health technology portfolio generated 2015 sales of EUR 16.8 billion and employs approximately 69,000 employees with sales and services in more than 100 countries. News about Philips can be found at www.philips.com/newscenter
Would you love to gain experience working within a multi-disciplinary, human-centered design team?
If so, consider the opportunity that an internship with Philips Design ( http://www.design.philips.com at http://www.design.philips.com/ ) has to offer. The Philips Design team located just outside of Pittsburgh produces products for people with sleep and breathing disorders such as sleep apnea. These products are unique in that they provide medical therapy and are often utilized in the home environment. As such, our work involves the unique intersection between medical and consumer influences. At Philips Design we believe that good design is about creating solutions that satisfy people's needs, empower them and make them happier, all of this without destroying the world in which we live. We invite you to use your interaction design skills to support the creation of meaningful and innovative solutions.
At Philips Design we believe that good design is about creating solutions that satisfy people's needs, empower them and make them happier, all of this without destroying the world in which we live. The Philips global creative force of some 450 professionals is located in our Design studios in Europe, North America and Asia.
At Philips Design, we know we can only fulfill people's needs and desires when we truly understand what they are. That’s why we always begin with getting to know as much as we possibly can about our target audiences: their priorities, values, inspirations, likes and dislikes.
With this insight, our design teams are able to deliver truly relevant solutions that anticipate people's needs, exceed their expectations and enhance our customers' business success.
The Internship Project will consist of working with members of the cross-functional team in Philips Ultrasound to develop a business financial model to project the total benefits, investment, cross-functional lifecycle costs and ROI for proposed modifications to released products. The model should include the longer term lifecycle costs to the business of creating new configurations. The intern will interview members from the several functions in the Business such as Finance, R&D, Supply Chain, Service, Service Operations, as well as members of the field organization to develop the model. The intern will review the model with the cross-functional leaders, and will work with the teams to implement the model to proposed projects, driving institutionalization of the new model.
What We Are Looking For
Research planning & fieldwork skills
You approach research strategically, helping to plan the best methods and approaches to reach project goals. You are resourceful and creative in defining ways to answer tough questions. You are curious and courageous in the field, with empathy muscles of steel tuned to understanding the needs that really drive patients and healthcare professionals.
• Help to plan and conduct primary and secondary research exploring respiratory care and sleep challenges like COPD and sleep apnea. This spans exploratory, formative and evaluative research, including in-home and in-hospital/clinic observations and interviews.
• Develop research tools to gain deep understanding of stakeholder needs.
• Organize and curate data to inform collaborative analysis.
Analytical & conceptual skills
You use appropriate and effective analytical and conceptual skills to frame findings and engage teammates in collaborative analysis.
• Help to analyze information to form a relevant understanding of context (domain, business, market, emerging contexts, related trends, target groups, etc.) and define and articulate relevant insights.
• Frame and communicate surprising and relevant scenarios/ themes/ concepts that build the team's understanding of context, needs and priorities.
Visual design skills
You use appropriate and effective visual design skills to clearly communicate research findings in an engaging and actionable way.
• Develop and use appropriate visualization skills to frame and communicate research findings and insights.
• Help to create experience flows, stakeholder maps, video vignettes and personae to anchor the development process in patient and healthcare professional needs.
Communicating & influencing skills
You use appropriate and effective communicating & influencing skills to build relationships with teams and key decision makers and achieve the best solutions.
• Communicate ideas clearly and persuasively at an individual and group level, choosing the right communication style or influencing tools.
• Support and co-facilitate collaborative activities to lead team members in engaging research outputs.
• Build relationships and appropriately influence relevant internal teams and direct business contacts. Develop stakeholder relationships and build networks to achieve short- and long-term goals.
• You are working toward or have a Bachelor or Master degree in design research/ design thinking/ product/ interaction / service design
• You have experience in design research
• You have a good understanding of product development processes
• You have a strong aesthetic and visual sensitivity
• You are passionate about design, healthcare and personal health products and services, and helping the people who use them
As a People Research Intern you are responsible for supporting the planning, execution and communication of design research and analysis at different stages of the development process. You work as part of a global multi-disciplinary team to help stimulate the creative process with people-centered insight, ideas and input. Within projects you will work closely with both business partners and design team members to build a deep understanding of business and user needs, help generate innovative and relevant concepts and implement compelling and impactful product service solutions.
Your First Step Toward a Meaningful Career:
Interested in putting your personal passions and skills towards improving lives? Express interest below to be considered for a position at Philips.
Please note that by applying to this position you will be considered for all campus-level Supply Chain positions. A recruiter will reach out to you directly to discuss opportunities if you are a fit for our roles.
And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter at @PhilipsJobsNA to stay updated on company news and upcoming events!
Philips is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, genetic information, creed, citizenship, disability, and protected veteran or marital status.
As an equal opportunity employer, Philips is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants that require accommodation in the job application process may contact 888-367-7223, option 5, for assistance.