Principal Engineer, Advanced Development
In this role, you have the opportunity to
In this role, you have the opportunity to contribute to the development and release of best-in-class peripheral vascular medical devices, influencing the practice of medicine around the world. You will work on a variety of technologies and disease states within peripheral vascular disease and potentially other clinical adjacencies.
As a part of Philips Image Guided Therapy Devices Research & Development organization, you will help our business enable healthcare providers to decide, guide, treat, and confirm in one setting, thereby optimizing care, reducing costs and getting patients back to the lives they love.
The position of Principal Engineer, AD, is responsible for
Leading technical aspects of projects that develop new, invasive medical devices, particularly high-risk early feasibility projects. This role requires significant leadership skills and technical adaptability, demonstrated by the ability to influence and lead within a rapidly evolving, cross-functional, highly regulated environment. The Principal Engineer will in some cases be responsible for the technical aspects of team’s performance and the scientific and engineering rigor of the work, and in other cases will be a contributing member of the team. The Principal Engineer will lead technical planning activities, lead the definition of and mitigation of technical risk, and aggressively exploit opportunities and mitigate risks. The Principal Engineer may occasionally be involved at various levels with technical issues at a department level and / or business unit level, though their primary focus will be at the team level. The ability to communicate effectively across all levels of the organization is required. In this role, you have the opportunity to contribute to the development and release of best-in-class peripheral vascular medical devices, influencing the practice of medicine around the world. You will work on a variety of technologies and disease states within peripheral vascular disease and potentially other clinical adjacencies.
To succeed in this role, you should have the following skills and experience
• Typical minimum overall experience required is 10+ years working within Product Development
• Has successfully supported multiple new product development cycles
• Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, or Biomedical Engineering, or similar field required. Other degrees will be considered based on experience. An advanced degree is preferred (MS or PhD).
• Extensive experience in the design and processing of products required; experience with vascular medical devices preferred (catheter-based balloons, stents, atherectomy, thrombectomy, intravascular ultrasound)
• Technical skills to include translation of first-principles science/engineering understanding to Design of Experiments, interpreting/presenting data, conducting advanced statistical analysis, and writing technical reports
• Self-motivated, team-oriented professional with excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Capable of communicating complicated technical information to audiences with varying levels of expertise in the area
• Experience within a regulated industry required (medical devices desirable, along with knowledge of FDA Quality System Regulations and ISO 13485)
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
• This person will be responsible for translating Voice-of-Customer requirements to design and process requirements, establishing design and process plans, protocols, and reports, and applying engineer principles to understand, improve, and control product performance
• This person will lead risk/failure mode assessment, test method development, process development, and performance and safety testing for early feasibility products
• Translate high-level objectives into detailed technical plans, execute the plan (individually and/or through others), and update the cross-functional project team on key technical and timeline risks
• Lead key aspects of Advanced Development (early feasibility) process
• Drive results in the technical team addressing key deliverables or addressing key project risks
• Hands-on ownership of design and process from product ideation through hand-off to concept through process validation
• Interface with Physicians/Customers/Internal departments
• Support creation of marketing materials and post market activities
• May directly supervise one or more technicians or engineers
• Provide professional development guidance for junior members of the technical team
• Complete documentation of all project data (responsibility to assure accuracy and completeness)
• Actively evaluates project for opportunities to improve performance or accelerate learning; continuously monitors risk and mitigates as appropriate
• Focuses project teams on the key feasibility questions; pivots plans as needs when new learnings require
• Comply with applicable FDA and international regulatory laws/standards and the Code of Conduct
Why should you join Philips?
Working at Philips is more than a job. It’s a calling to create a healthier society through meaningful work, focused on improving 3 billion lives a year by delivering innovative solutions across the health continuum at http://www.philips.com/b-dam/corporate/corporateblog/2016/PhilipsChronicDisease_5.jpg . Our people experience a variety of unexpected moments when their lives and careers come together in meaningful ways. Learn more by watching this video .
To find out more about what it’s like working for Philips at a personal level, visit the Working at Philips page at http://www.philips.com/a-w/careers/healthtech/working-at-philips/working-at-philips.html on our career website, where you can read stories from our employee blog at http://www.usa.philips.com/a-w/our-people/life-at-philips.html . Once there, you can also learn about our recruitment process at http://www.philips.com/a-w/careers/healthtech.html , or find answers to some of the frequently asked questions at http://www.philips.com/a-w/careers/healthtech/faq.html .
It is the policy of Philips to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all colleagues and applicants for employment without regard to age, color, citizenship, disability or perceived disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital or domestic partner status, military or veteran status, national origin, pregnancy/childbirth, race, religion, sexual orientation, or any other category protected by federal, state and/or local laws. Philips is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer Disability/Veteran.
As an equal opportunity employer, Philips is committed to a diverse workforce. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants that require accommodation in the job application process may contact 888-367-7223, option 5, for assistance.